Monday, January 10, 2011

This year's resolution; no more damn resolutions!


I'm fighting it. I really am. I am fighting the urge to become the grumpy old man who bores everyone with tales of woe that always seems to begin with "... well in my day." As if 'their day' was some long-lost, forgotten time when all men were mighty warriors that fended off horrible Pterodactyl attacks where these giant predatory monsters swooped down and stole our young. If you're still breathing, isn't today still "your day"?

I am referring of course to our cultural ritual of making "New Year's Resolutions" that time of year when we purpose to better ourselves in some way. Loose weight. Read more. Save the planet. Blah, blah, blah. Well, as for me, I'm Fed-Up. Whats wrong with me as I am? Yeah, we all could shed a pound or two, I would love to read more, blog more, take that creative writing class I have been flirting with.

I don't want to appear crass, but if the first 30 or so years of New Year resolutions didn't take, then why would this one. My oldest son asked me on New Year's eve; "what's your New Year resolution Dad?". I didn't have one. While I sat in my bedroom with my three adolescent sons and a teenage daughter all sleepily watching a tape delay of the Times Square Ball do it's midnight drop (we live in the Southwest so the East Coast is a smooth two hours ahead of us), it dawned on me, I haven't the slightest interest in declaring something new over myself. That plate is already full!

So, after lengthy deliberations, this year, I do indeed have a New Year resolution: No New Year resolutions! Why put additional stress on myself? Believe me, I am putting enough pressure on the current me to do and be better. Check in with me next January. Maybe then I can start saying; "... back in my day (2010), we used to make New Year Resolutions that mattered." Then the Pterodactyl can swoop in and scoop me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment